Perspectives on Casting

Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Hi everyone! With Nutcracker season in full gear, it's the time of year when some dancers end up either ecstatic or heartbroken over casting. There have been times in my life when I've been in a bad place, and really put my personal value as a dancer and person into casting. Often times I would covet roles that were the exact opposite of my strengths, and then be devastated when I didn't get them. It led to hurt feelings, damaged relationships, and burn out. But, it was all internal - it doesn't have to be that way! And shouldn't be that way. Over the years, I've gained a lot of perspective, especially through all the times when I had no performance opportunities.

Today, I'm at a much better place when casting comes out. I don't make casting into a hierarchy (this role is "better" than this role), so whatever I am given is a gift. I am realistic about myself and my strengths as a dancer, so I can view it from a director's point of view and see why they would want me in particular roles. And I am happy for everyone else's casting, as opposed to the green eyed monster that I used to have eating away at me.

If anyone has shared any of these issues, I hope my journey will help you on yours!





Follow Ballerinas By Night! 
Facebook   |   YouTube   |   Bloglovin'

No comments

Copyright © Ballerinas By Night. Blog Design by SkyandStars.co